Monday, March 30, 2015

:: Love the way you lie ::

Humans have evolved to lie well, and no doubt you’ve seen the social lubrication at work.  In many cases, we might not think of it as a true lie well perhaps a ‘white lie’  occasionally, the omission of a sensitive detail here and there, false encouragement of others when we see no benefit in dashing someone’s hopes, and the list goes on.

As I mentioned on my FB stats couple of days back that I sugar coat truths so it doesn’t sound bitter,  I actually do,  if those are considered lies, then those lies I tell are meant for the purpose of sparing people discomfort,  for these are the lies that most often tempt me.

And they tend to be the only lies that good people tell while imagining that they are being good in the process.

I remember a friend’s story.  Once he was using his mobile while driving and when he saw a traffic officer he threw the phone away and drove panically, the officer stopped him few meters away and asked if he was using his mobile, he startled, and the officer had to ask again if he was using his mobile while driving, he was contemplating whether to lie or to tell the truth.  But he chose to admit.  He did.  And the police issued him a ticket and said if he pays within a month he will only have to pay 70 ringgit instead of 200 ringgit (I can’t quite remember the figure). 
  
The exact feeling he had then was happy.  Happy that he didn't have to lie and regretting it afterward.   It may take care of the present, but it has no future.  He said, big or small, a lie is a lie.  Tell a lie once and all your truths become questionable. 

One of my omission of truths (that’s how I like to put it) is that I am not being frank to my parents about my present.  It breaks me up.  It does, because if I tell the truth, I don’t have to remember anything.  And because one lie will lead to another.  But if I am to tell the truth, there are lots of consequences to bear on to.  One thing will lead to another as well.

"Truthfulness is one of the pillars on which the moral survival of the world depends. It is the foundation of praiseworthy characteristics, the foundation of prophethood, the result of taqwah."  

The Creator of mankind, told us in the 96th chapter of His Quran; "Lies, aggression and hostility come from the prefrontal lobe of the brain (behind the forehead)".   Fourteen hundred years before Sigmund Freud existed.

What do I do?

At this moment I have that BEP song stuck in my head.  Annoying giler I tell you. 

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with your friend: It may take care of the present, but it has no future. He said, big or small, a lie is a lie. Tell a lie once and all your truths become questionable.

    I have always believed that a lie, no matter how small, is a lie. Even a white lie is a lie.

    Having said that, I have no doubt hidden information from say example my parents - especially during my IVF cycle. They were too worried about me.

    I guess we all do omit information here and there, every now and then, when is deemed necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more afraid of the damage that'll occur than the truth itself.

      Delete